Jump to content
WCSBoard

2023 football schedule


row Z

Recommended Posts

On 2/12/2023 at 5:06 PM, HLB said:

You posted UGA's football schedule.

And my reply was "What's your point (in posting UGA's football schedule)"?  Are you're implying that UGA has a weak schedule?  If so, then I was merely showing that UCLA's schedule, which is weaker.

And don't kid yourself, NO P5 team is running from playing UCLA.

The title of the thread was about football schedules. I posted a football schedule. I didn't offer up any opinion of it. You clearly believed it was and felt like you needed to defend it. That's your insecurity, not mine.

As for the last part. https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/story/2019-10-25/michigan-terminates-agreement-to-play-ucla-in-football-in-2022-and-23

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/12/2023 at 6:04 PM, HLB said:

UGA plays 9 P5 opponents this year, but most seasons they play 10 P5 opponents ....

Eight (8) conference games, every year, along with one (1) OOC P5 opponent, in GaTech who they play in the final game of every season.

But most years UGA plays two P5 OOC opponents, for a total of 10 P5 opponents.

In 2013, and 2014 they played Clemson, in addition to GA Tech.  In 2016 they played North Carolina.  In 2017 and 2019 they played Notre Dame.  In 2021 they played Clemson, and in 2022 they played Oregon.

Most seasons, UGA plays 10 P5 opponents.  As does South Carolina, Florida and Kentucky.

In '24, '25 and '26, UGA will play two OOC P5 opponents, for 10 P5 opponents.  From '26 to '33 they will play three P5 OOC opponents, for a total of eleven P5 opponents.

All other SEC teams play 9P5 opponents (8 conference and 1 OOC P5 opponent).

The PAC12 plays 9 conference games to reduce the number of cross-country trips that comes with playing OOC opponents.  Most prospective P5 OOC opponents for the PAC12 are East of Colorado.

The SEC plays 8 conference games because they are surrounded by the ACC, Big12, multiple G5 conferences where there are a larger number of prospective OOC opponents, than the PAC12, which are easily within driving range, and having to make without cross-country trips.

Cool, so Oregon St. and UGA play the same number of P5 opponents next year.  Tho SDSU would manhandle any of the three non-P5 teams on the Bulldogs schedule.

It is funny how you're instantly on the defensive whenever your damsel-in-distress (SEC football) is in trouble from a Pac-12 message board with like 4 active members.  Maybe you should seek therapy and heavy meds.

Calm Down Bernie Sanders GIF by GIPHY News

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/13/2023 at 2:09 AM, MrBug708 said:

The title of the thread was about football schedules. I posted a football schedule. I didn't offer up any opinion of it. You clearly believed it was and felt like you needed to defend it. That's your insecurity, not mine.

As for the last part. https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/story/2019-10-25/michigan-terminates-agreement-to-play-ucla-in-football-in-2022-and-23

The article you post is 3-1/2 years old and does not mean that Michigan (who has back-to-back CFP appearances, and 2-time B1G Champion) is "running" from UCLA and that "all P5" OOC opponents are afraid of playing UCLA.  Are we to believe that UCLA couldn't secure another P5 opponent to take Michigan's place, with 3 years of lead time?

As for posting Georgia's schedule - why did you post their schedule?  To show how strong it is?  Surely not.  You didn't have to comment on why you posted, as your action speaks for itself.  Why not post Purdue's schedule?  Or Kansas State's schedule?  Why Georgia's schedule?  Clearly you were trying to demonstrate that Georgia's schedule is - in your opinion - weak.  And many (including myself) agree that UGA's 2023 schedule isn't as strong as their past schedules.  But to suggest that it's weak, when UCLA's schedule isn't overly strong, is silly on your part.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/14/2023 at 5:53 PM, Orange said:

Cool, so Oregon St. and UGA play the same number of P5 opponents next year.  Tho SDSU would manhandle any of the three non-P5 teams on the Bulldogs schedule.

It is funny how you're instantly on the defensive whenever your damsel-in-distress (SEC football) is in trouble from a Pac-12 message board with like 4 active members.  Maybe you should seek therapy and heavy meds.

Calm Down Bernie Sanders GIF by GIPHY News

Oh - so now it's "cool"? 

Your original response was arrogant, and you referred to me as a "dipshit" - as if you knew more than you actually know more than me, when in fact I demonstrated that you clearly didn't know what were talking about.

And after I show you that you were wrong in your claim, now you want to back down and say "cool".  LOL!

And I will defend any school, from any conference, when you blatantly make an ignorant statement about an institution, when you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

As for SDSU - they should manhandle UT-Martin, an FCS opponent.  They should beat Ball State, but they are closely matched.  But in no way or manner would they beat UAB or GaTech. 

You're clearly attempting to belittle UGA's schedule in any way you think you can, by reaching out to somehow, someway, claim that SDSU (a team that finished 7-6 in 2022) is stronger than any of UGA's OOC opponents, in an attempt to imply that Oregon State has a stronger OOC schedule ... simply because you want to "win" a debate, which you've already lost.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/14/2023 at 6:59 PM, HLB said:

The article you post is 3-1/2 years old and does not mean that Michigan (who has back-to-back CFP appearances, and 2-time B1G Champion) is "running" from UCLA and that "all P5" OOC opponents are afraid of playing UCLA.  Are we to believe that UCLA couldn't secure another P5 opponent to take Michigan's place, with 3 years of lead time?

As for posting Georgia's schedule - why did you post their schedule?  To show how strong it is?  Surely not.  You didn't have to comment on why you posted, as your action speaks for itself.  Why not post Purdue's schedule?  Or Kansas State's schedule?  Why Georgia's schedule?  Clearly you were trying to demonstrate that Georgia's schedule is - in your opinion - weak.  And many (including myself) agree that UGA's 2023 schedule isn't as strong as their past schedules.  But to suggest that it's weak, when UCLA's schedule isn't overly strong, is silly on your part.

I'm not sure, nor do I care, what you believe. There was one FBS team, P5 or G5, available for that week. It was Hawaii. Michigan was already in talks with Hawaii before they even ducked out from UCLA. They could have bought out just the home game, but didn't want to play UCLA in Ann Arbor either.

3 years lead time? Schedules don't work like that if you want to schedule P5 programs. I'll chalk that up to not knowing how college football works. UCLA's next free weekend is in 2028, which would be the third weekend. They would need to find another program not locked into that week.

The mental gymnastics to circle the wagons over a simple graphic is comical. I didn't offer a single opinion, didn't create a narrative, just posted the future schedule of the defending champion. Purdue, Kansas State fit neither of those and frankly, I haven't seen the schedule for either of them. Nothing is stopping you from posting them, but you seem content to further the idea that the SEC is notoriously light on scheduling. Why deflect to UCLA, Purdue, or Kansas State?

Very strange.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/14/2023 at 7:12 PM, HLB said:

Oh - so now it's "cool"? 

Your original response was arrogant, and you referred to me as a "dipshit" - as if you knew more than you actually know more than me, when in fact I demonstrated that you clearly didn't know what were talking about.

And after I show you that you were wrong in your claim, now you want to back down and say "cool".  LOL!

And I will defend any school, from any conference, when you blatantly make an ignorant statement about an institution, when you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

As for SDSU - they should manhandle UT-Martin, an FCS opponent.  They should beat Ball State, but they are closely matched.  But in no way or manner would they beat UAB or GaTech. 

You're clearly attempting to belittle UGA's schedule in any way you think you can, by reaching out to somehow, someway, claim that SDSU (a team that finished 7-6 in 2022) is stronger than any of UGA's OOC opponents, in an attempt to imply that Oregon State has a stronger OOC schedule ... simply because you want to "win" a debate, which you've already lost.

I called you a dipshit because you ARE a dipshit.  Glad we cleared that up.

SDSU couldn't beat UAB?  Why?  Because UAB lost to Rice?  Or because UAB lost to W. Ky, or lost to Liberty, or lost to FL Atlantic, or lost to UTSA?  Ball State and SDSU are closely matched?  BS went 5-7, losing to Toledo (whom SDSU beat), GA southern, and U of Ohio. And I said SDSU would beat any P5 team on UGA's schedule, which necessarily excludes Ga Tech, you no-reading dipshit.

You're easily the biggest homer I've ever seen post on the Internet. And your psyche is so fragile, I wonder how you've lived to be old without having a goddamned heart attack.  I wouldn't be surprised if you're a teenager who goes around telling people you're a black senior citizen to win arguments on the internet.  Sad! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/14/2023 at 5:53 PM, Orange said:

SDSU would manhandle any of the three non-P5 teams on the Bulldogs schedule.

SDSU is 3-6.  Of the 3 non-P5 opponents of UGA's schedule, UTMartin just won their conference; Ball State is 2-7, while UAB is also 3-6.

I think SDSU would beat FCS UTMartin, but so would Ball State and SDSU.  Games against Ball State and UAB would probably be an even contest.

Certainly they wouldn't manhandle Ball State or UAB.

Where is OSU's P5 OOC opponent?  No where to be found.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/5/2023 at 6:27 PM, HLB said:

SEC scheduled more ranked OOC opponents than the PAC12, and they just that, every year.

# of SEC OOC games: 56

# of Pac 12 OOC games: 36

Maybe because they schedule 55% more OOC games, period?  And i doubt your fucking claim is even true.  Pac 12 has nine conference games, which means almost every team plays 10 or 11 games against P5 opponents.   UGA plays 9.  Ole Miss, 9.  Bama, 9.  Auburn, 9.  Arkansas, 8.  

Utah plays 11  

South Carolina is the only SEC team that plays more than 9.   Literally only Oregon St and UCLA play fewer than 10 P5 teams this season.  You’re full of shit.  

 Is your next book going to be about mathematics?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/5/2023 at 8:44 PM, Orange said:

# of SEC OOC games: 56

# of Pac 12 OOC games: 36

Maybe because they schedule 55% more OOC games, period?  And i doubt your fucking claim is even true.  Pac 12 has nine conference games, which means almost every team plays 10 or 11 games against P5 opponents.   UGA plays 9.  Ole Miss, 9.  Bama, 9.  Auburn, 9.  Arkansas, 8.  

Utah plays 11  

South Carolina is the only SEC team that plays more than 9.   Literally only Oregon St and UCLA play fewer than 10 P5 teams this season.  You’re full of shit.  

 Is your next book going to be about mathematics?

This year, Utah plays 11.

Generally, SEC teams play 8 conference games, and one OOC P5 opponent, for 9 P5 opponents.  And you need to look again, Arkansas played 9 P5 opponents (BYU is a P5 OOC opponent, and a member of the Big 12)

Four-out-of-five years, Georgia plays 10 P5 opponents, when they open with a P5 OOC opponent and close with their annual game against GaTech to close the season ... Florida (as they did this season) typically plays a P5 OOC opponent early, then FSU in their annual game to close their season .... S. Carolina typically plays a P5 OOC opponent early and ends their season with their annual rival game against Clemson .... Kentucky "sometimes" has a P5 OOC opponent and closes with their annual rival game against Louisville .... LSU and Tennessee have often played 2 P5 OOC opponents.

As it has been stated before, the PAC12 has "elected" to play 9 conference opponents because they wanted to reduce the cross-country travel, which leads to sleep deprivation and concerns about academics being impacted.  That's why the conference put together a 9-game conference schedule (conference HQ's schedule conference games, not individual teams).  It's what the conference officials elected to do, for reasons I just explained.  Not because teams are trying to be bad-ass.

THIS SEASON:

25% of the PAC12's OOC opponents are FCS teams;

25% of the SEC's OOC opponents are FCS teams (1 for each SEC team);

30% of the PAC12's OOC opponents are P5 teams;

29% of the SEC's OOC opponent are P5 teams.

So, the conferences (this season) are essentially the same on OOC scheduling.

All things considered - what's your point?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/7/2023 at 4:25 PM, HLB said:

This year, Utah plays 11.

are you a fucking parrot?

On 11/7/2023 at 4:25 PM, HLB said:

 

30% of the PAC12's OOC opponents are P5 teams;

29% of the SEC's OOC opponent are P5 teams.

 

 

So by your own admission, the Pac plays more OOC P5 opponents PLUS we play one more conference game.  This is a fine surrender that Lee would be proud of.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/8/2023 at 5:52 AM, Orange said:

So by your own admission, the Pac plays more OOC P5 opponents PLUS we play one more conference game.  This is a fine surrender that Lee would be proud of.  

I don't even bother to read his 5000 word novels. 100% chance the numbers are wrong.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/8/2023 at 11:33 AM, MrBug708 said:

Anyone find a source for the reasoning for 9 game conference schedule? Because it's always been teams not wanting to give up LA, not because they didn't want to travel cross country lol 

I always thought it was to a) improve our better teams’ SOS when compared to other BCS/CFP contenders & b) because our teams’ season ticket holders would rather see a conference rival than another cupcake.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m not really finding anything regarding travel as a concern for the change to 9 games. It obviously makes scheduling easier. But I didn’t realize the 8 game schedule created scheduling quirks especially when trying to protect the 4 California schools playing each other each season. One example is between 1998-2005 USC played Oregon 6 times but only one of those times was in LA. Idk how stuff like that happens but it did and was fixed with the 9 game schedule.

9 game schedule

In 2009 PAC10 coaches had an informal vote 6-4 to change the schedule back to 8 games. But it mentions the reasons the 9 game schedule was adopted was equity in scheduling, easier scheduling, balance and fan interest. But coaches talked about how teams had different interest that a 4th game made it easier to either have an easy win at home, playing a marquee road game meant that they wouldn’t have to give up too many home games and BCS standings would be higher if half conference didn’t have an extra guaranteed loss. 
 

Coaches Vote

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...